Australian Child Care Rebate – Are You Eligible

For parents who are working or studying, there are a number of government schemes that can assist with the cost of childcare. These include:

Child Care Benefit (CCB)

The Child Care Benefit (CCB) can help with the cost of child care. To be eligible, you need to choose an approved childcare provider (such as Greenwood), and you need to be the person who is responsible for paying the childcare fees. Additionally, you must meet Australian residency requirements, and your child must be immunised.

The Child Care Benefit is income tested. The rates are adjusted each financial year (in line with the fluctuating cost of living).

If your situation changes during the year, it could affect your eligibility to receive the Child Care Benefit. For instance, if your child starts school, or if your income increases, you may no longer be eligible – and should notify Centrelink as soon as possible.

For detailed information, please visit the official Child Care Benefit website.

Child Care Rebate (CCR)

The Child Care Rebate (CCR) is not income tested. It is available to parents who are working, training or studying.

What the Child Care Rebate covers is out-of-pocket childcare expenses – i.e. the amount spent on child care after the Child Care Benefit has been deducted.

The Child Care Rebate covers 50% of out-of-pocket expenses, up to a maximum of $7,500 per child (this information is current as of December 2013).

To be eligible, you have to first satisfy the criteria for the Child Care Benefit (see above). You must also be able to prove that you are employed in some capacity, or are studying/training.

Your chosen child care centre must also be an approved provider.

Even if you are not entitled to the Child Care Benefit (because your income is too high), you might still be eligible for the Child Care Rebate.

More information is available at:

Give us a call!

If you would like to discuss the cost of child care, please give Greenwood a call on: 1300 9 GREEN (1300 947 336). We can provide you with a quote for childcare – simply give us the details of the hours and percentage you are eligible to claim (Centrelink can supply you with this information).

We look forward to hearing from you!

Author: G8 Education

Share This Post On