As your child’s first day draws near, we realise that you and your child may be filled with mixed emotions and your main concern may about your child settling in. Rest assured that we do understand your feelings and are here to support you and your child through the settling in period.
If you have any questions or concerns, please approach one of our friendly team members and they will assist you in any way they can.
Some children take to new environments extremely well while others may be a little bit apprehensive or unsure. There are a few things you can do to make the settling in period as easy and stress-free as possible for you and your child.
Preparing for the First Day
- Prepare your child beforehand. Talk about the Centre, the activities, new friends, new toys, etc
- Feel free to drop in with your child and visit the Centre for short periods before the actual starting date
- Drive past the Centre on the weekends – show daddy, grandma etc. your child’s ‘new school’
- Buy a bag and label it – let your child help to pack it, teach them to recognise their ‘own’ bag.
- Label all clothing and shoes (this helps both us and your child). Please note that as part of your enrolment process, we will provide your child with a sunhat – as all our Centres are ‘Sunsmart’ Centres plus a library bag and Greenwood t-shirt
On Your First Day
- If possible, make your child’s first day at the Centre shorter than usual to ensure a slow and happy transition to school
- Bring your child into the appropriate classroom. A team member from that room will welcome you and introduce you to the other staff and children
- Allow your child some time to stand and watch. They may not feel ready to join in straight away and will need to do so at their own pace
- Make sure that your child’s special security blanket/toy is packed in their bag and clearly labelled if needed
Staff will show you many things to do with the Centre including the following:
- Where to put your bag
- Lunch and sleep chart
- Sign-in book
- Classroom communication book
- Information areas
- Program display